UPDATE: The competition is now closed and prizes have been awarded, but you can still challenge yourself to complete the great big Kids News holiday treasure hunt!
It’s easy and fun and you’ll learn heaps of amazing facts.
Here’s how to join the treasure hunt:
- You can answer as many questions as you like.
- Do it in one go or keep coming back when you have free time.
- You’ll need a piece of paper and a pen or pencil.
- Write the question numbers down your page and the answer beside them.
- Click on the link below each question to find the answer.
- When you’ve found the answer, write it down.
- Click the back arrow to get back to the treasure hunt to continue.
Good luck and happy hunting!
GREAT HOLIDAY TREASURE HUNT QUESTIONS
1. What year did Mount Vesuvius erupt?
2. How many times faster than the speed of sound is Mach 5?
3. What are Jupiter’s swirling clouds probably made of?
4. The Bight is an important nursery for the young of which endangered whale?
5. What is the name of the NSW Education Minister?
6. Dobbing could be a sign that you have a social … (fill in the missing word)
7. What five southern African countries were the baobab trees in the study in?
8. How long would the sides of an imaginary ice block be equal to one millimetre of global sea level rise?
9. What two types of dinosaurs left their footprints in the lagoon?
10. What is the shorter name for community group the Country Women’s Association?
11. What year did the Korean War begin?
12. How many great whale species are there and how many are endangered or vulnerable?
13. What temperature is it inside the Doomsday Vault?
14. How high is Mt Kosciuszko, the highest mountain in Australia?
15. Where were the Olympics in 1972?
16. What sea was the ship found in?
17. What is politician Alan Tudge’s job?
18. What is the name of the castle where the writing was discovered?
19. How many kilometres from Earth is the asteroid Vesta?
20. Where will the tiny camera be mounted?
21. Who found Daphne past Rottnest Island?
22. How much did Brett Ford pay for the Furphy end?
23. What year was the small colony of living trees found?
24. What are the children asking politicians to do?
25. Who is the other fossil named after?
26. What does mongee mean in slang Japanese?
27. What is the name of the science journal the results are published in?
28. In the glossary, what work means to makes something happen faster or earlier?
29. What year was the violin made?
30. What is Paula’s surname?
31. How fast can the car travel on water?
32. How many times a day do you need to clean your teeth?
33. How many people around the world lack safe drinking water?
34. Ed Sheeran’s message is: “It isn’t big to make others feel … (fill in the missing word)”
35. What day is summer solstice in Australia?
36. What animal is 2018 the year of?
37. How many bite victims does the anti-venom program help each year?
38. What is the name of the health organisation Hunter co-founded?
39. How many days did Mark Beaumont take to ride around the world?
40. What year did Walt Disney start his company in a garage?
41. Who does Ben Simmons play for?
42. Where was the World Cup soccer this year?
43. What was the final score of the series-winning State of Origin NRL game?
44. How many Olympic gold medals did Ian Thorpe win?
45. Which former Olympic swimmer is the AFL Women’s boss?
46. How much does Hafthor Bjornsson weigh?
47. Who did Justin Langer replace as coach of the Australian cricket team?
48. What do you call a golfing score that is two better than a good score on that hole?
49. Who does the Anzac Cup team play each year?
50. Which country do the Rixon family from Queensland represent in lawn bowls?
You have completed the big Kids News holiday treasure hunt.
Check the instructions at the top of the quiz for how to enter to win some great prizes.